Electrical and plumbing emergencies in our homes or offices can occur any time but it is especially inconvenient when they happen during the cold winter months. Because of below-freezing temperatures that are common during wintertime, our pipes can freeze, causing them to burst, which in turn causes a host of other problems throughout our homes. No one wants this inconvenience even for an hour, so when any type of plumbing emergencies happen in winter, we want them repaired as soon as possible. Of course, one of the best methods to correct wintertime plumbing emergencies is to avoid them in the first place and this is actually a lot easier than it sounds. Several steps can be taken before the winter months appear that can actually prevent plumbing emergencies from occurring and below are just a few of them.
Just a Few Tips to Get Started
There are actually a few simple basic things you can do to avoid wintertime plumbing problems. Of course, companies such as UK Commercial Group can help you with additional tips as well as supply the repairs you need should you forget to emergency-proof your home or office. These and other commercial plumbing companies specialise in commercial and industrial properties of all types so they have the expertise and knowledge to know exactly what to do when you do have an emergency. In the meantime, here are a few preventative measures you can take to protect your plumbing system in the winter:
- Disconnect your garden hose; after all, you likely won’t be needing it anyway.
- Drain and close outdoor fixtures such as hose faucets, sprinkler systems, and even shut-off valves.
- Insulate your pipes outdoors and in the colder sections of your home, which you probably won’t be using much during the winter months. Visit a hardware store to purchase an insulation kit to make the job easier.
- Keep a slow drip in your faucets once the weather gets below -6° Celsius to make sure the pipes do not freeze.
- Make sure you do not pour too much grease and oil down your drain as this may cause the pipes to clog, which makes it easier for them to freeze up.
Plumbing emergencies can cost a lot of money and waste a lot of time so preventing them as much as possible is always your smartest choice. You can visit a hardware store as well as do some research online for additional preventative tips, but the main idea is to keep your plumbing system clean and functional and as dry as possible so that water doesn’t freeze inside of it and cause your pipes to break.
A Few Basic Reminders
When it comes to repairs and maintenance of your plumbing system, companies such as UK Commercial Group can accommodate any plumbing need you have. They are experts at what they do and very customer service-oriented so whether you need basic maintenance, preventative tips and suggestions, or even repairs, companies like this are the first ones you should call. To ignore the plumbing system completely is only asking for trouble when it’s cold outside.